Want to playtest Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies? Read on!
WHAT I WANT: I need between 6 and 12 beta groups to playtest the manuscript, who can apply for the beta playtest before 11:59 pm, December 31st, 2007.
WHAT YOU MUST AGREE TO:
NOTE: This stuff isn't optional. Following directions is key.
1. This is a blind playtest; you cannot ask me questions for the duration of the playtest period. All you have to go on is the manuscript.
2. At least the group GM *must* join a specific mailling list that I will point them to. (This may obviate #1 a bit; playtesting GMs can discuss stuff amongst themselves on that mailling list if they desire, but I am not going to participate until playtest period is over. Hm... maybe this is not so much a "blind playtest" as a "playtest with severe astigmatism.")
3. At least the group GM *must* read the entire manuscript (~300 pages); players can read the whole thing, short selections (like the information on their home Cloud-Islands), or nothing as they choose.
4. The group, at a minimum, must be a GM and one player; preferably, it should be a GM and two or more players. (More than six players is possibly too many, but if your group is that big, it's okay.)
5. The group must agree to have between 1 and 3 sessions during the six-week playtest period. (If there's only going to be one session, the GM *must* use the "Campaign Cartography" rules in Chapter 8.)
6. The group must provide me with answers to a questionnaire about the manuscript. While this is predominently the GM's baliwick, inclusion of player comments are strongly encouraged.
7. The GM must provide me with the names and email addresses of all participants in their groups.
If these 7 rules are followed, the members of each group will be listed as beta playtesters, and each will receive a PDF copy of the final product.
HOW YOU APPLY:
* The group's representative -- assumed to be the GM -- must send an email to me at chad DOT underkoffler AT gmail PERIOD com
* The Subject line of the email *must include* this: [S7S-PT]
* Information required in the body of the email: why your group loves swashbuckling books and/or movies, assertion that you will follow the dictates of WHAT YOU MUST AGREE TO (see above), group size, expected number of sessions, what are your favorite RPGS (if any), and if you're familiar with previous ASMP games. (Note that this last is not a bar to entry; I see benefits in including people in my playetests that have zero familiarity with PDQ-based games.)
* Sucking up to me based on my gaming CV is purely OPTIONAL. However, I'd like to know if you've ever read any of my columns, material I've produced for Atomic Sock Monkey Press, or material I've produced for other game lines.
Beta playtest period is vaugely scheduled for mid-January to the end of February.
S7S Beta To Do List
Here's the To Do List for the S7S beta manuscript (a baker's dozen of things to handle before moving to the Edit-Layout-Publish stage):
2. Revise Chapters 1 through 4 per pre-beta peer reviewers' comments.
3. Write Introduction.
4. Fix illos/diagrams in Chapter 1 (maybe get set of illos for Chapter 3).
5. Get pre-beta peer reviewers comments back on Chapters 5 through 8.
6. Revise Chapters 5 through 8 per pre-beta peer reviewers' comments.
7. Talk with Fred re: handouts, character sheets, ref sheets.
8. Figure out beta-playtester application and post-playtest questionnaire.
9. Get beta-playtesters playtesting.
10. Run last sessions of alpha playtests, including the final joint-session. Scheduling Hell.
11. Work out final business concerns with EHP (percentages, sites, printing). Basic plan worked out.
12. Get more art/illos/diagrams in.
Two-thirds done! Woo!